Biryani, a delectable and aromatic rice delicacy, has a special place in the hearts of millions of food enthusiasts worldwide. In India, it is celebrated not only by the common people but also by some of the biggest Bollywood stars.
On World Biryani Day 2023, we delve into the preferences of 10 celebrities who are self-proclaimed aficionados of this cherished dish. From Kareena Kapoor Khan’s love for Awadhi biryani to Prabhas’ passion for Hyderabadi dum biryani, these stars have their own unique biryani favorites. Join us in exploring the delightful world of biryani as we discover the tastes and choices of these iconic Indian actors.
- Kareena Kapoor Khan: Known for her impeccable acting skills and stunning beauty, Kareena Kapoor Khan is also a self-confessed foodie who occasionally indulges in the exquisite flavors of biryani. Her preference? The Awadhi biryani, a regal delight that combines saffron, spices, and succulent meat, all cooked to perfection in a sealed pot. To complement this delicacy, Kareena enjoys a side of raita (yogurt-based side dish) and a refreshing salad.
- Shah Rukh Khan: The “King of Bollywood” and a heartthrob for millions, Shah Rukh Khan’s biryani love knows no bounds. He’s a fan of the famed Hyderabadi biryani, celebrated for its spicy and tangy notes. Shah Rukh pairs it with mirchi ka salan (chili curry) and baghare baingan (eggplant dish), offering a sensory explosion of flavors. In addition, he has a soft spot for the more subtle and aromatic Lucknowi biryani.
- Prabhas: The “Baahubali” star, Prabhas, is a fervent lover of biryani, and his favorite is the Hyderabadi dum biryani. This delicacy is slow-cooked on a low flame, with layers of fragrant rice, succulent meat, and an array of spices. Prabhas enjoys his Hyderabadi biryani with mint chutney and onion raita. He’s also known to relish the Malabar biryani, which boasts a unique blend of ghee, cashews, raisins, and coconut milk.
- Katrina Kaif: Katrina Kaif, the dazzling actress, is a devoted biryani enthusiast. Her top pick is the Mumbai biryani, a fusion of various culinary styles, featuring potatoes, eggs, and fried onions. To elevate her dining experience, she complements the dish with kachumber (cucumber salad) and papad (crispy flatbread). Furthermore, Katrina savors the spicy and sour Sindhi biryani, enhanced with green chilies, tomatoes, and dried plums.
- Ranveer Singh: Known for his energy and enthusiasm, Ranveer Singh is also a passionate biryani lover who enjoys experimenting with various biryani varieties. His eclectic taste ranges from the rich and creamy Mughlai biryani, which features nuts, dried fruits, and saffron, to the unique Kolkata biryani, complete with boiled eggs, potatoes, and rose water. He also relishes the Dindigul biryani, prepared with fragrant basmati rice, curd, lemon, and curry leaves.
- Deepika Padukone: Deepika Padukone, a stunning actress and health-conscious individual, occasionally treats herself to biryani. Her preference leans toward the vegetable biryani, a nutritious option packed with assorted vegetables, nuts, and an array of aromatic spices. Deepika pairs her biryani with boondi raita (fried gram flour balls in yogurt) and pickle. She also enjoys the Kashmiri biryani, known for its saffron, cardamom, and generous use of dry fruits.
- Akshay Kumar: Akshay Kumar, the “Mission Raniganj” star, is a fitness enthusiast who allows himself the occasional biryani indulgence as a cheat meal. His choice includes the Punjabi biryani, featuring paneer (cottage cheese), peas, carrots, and an enticing blend of spices. Akshay complements this dish with lassi (buttermilk) and chaat (savory snack). He also appreciates the spiciness and flavors of the Chettinad biryani, enhanced with black pepper, fennel seeds, and curry leaves.
As we celebrate World Biryani Day in 2023, we have uncovered the biryani favorites of some of Bollywood’s biggest stars. Each celebrity’s unique palate and preference reflect the diversity of this beloved dish. From the regal Awadhi biryani favored by Kareena Kapoor Khan to Prabhas’ love for the slow-cooked Hyderabadi dum biryani, biryani continues to be a cherished culinary delight, uniting people from all walks of life.
Biryani, with its aromatic blend of spices, meat, and rice, is a testament to India’s rich culinary heritage. On this special day, let’s savor the flavors and aromas of biryani, just like these Bollywood icons, and celebrate the dish that brings people together through its mouthwatering allure. Happy World Biryani Day!